Contents insurance

Contents insurance

Prices from just £6 a month. We won't charge you more for paying monthly.

That's what 10% of customers paid for their insurance excluding add-ons. Based on Classic contents policies sold between 01 Jan - 31 Mar 2024.

Administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.

Already have a home insurance policy with us? Take a look at our insurance support pages

What is contents insurance?


Contents insurance can protect your belongings and other personal stuff. It doesn’t cover the actual building itself.

You can take out contents insurance on its own, or you can combine it with our buildings insurance to protect both your home and what’s inside.

See our home insurance page to find out more.

How does it work?


Contents insurance covers the things in your home or garden if they’re damaged, destroyed or lost because of things like fire, theft, vandalism and flooding.

  • You’re insured up to the contents limit amount based on the cover chosen.
  • You can add optional extra cover to suit your needs.

If you’re renting, see our contents insurance for renters page

What’s covered as standard by contents insurance?

Loss or damage to contents in the home and garden

This also includes items in your garage and outbuildings

Food in freezers

If your food’s been damaged by an accidental change in temperature or contaminated by freezing agents

Home office equipment

Your office furniture, computers, printers and other equipment used for work is protected

Replacement of external door locks

If the keys to your home’s external doors are lost or stolen, we’ll replace the door locks

Policy terms and conditions, other cover limits, restrictions and exclusions may apply. 

What isn’t covered?

We don’t cover the things mentioned below:

  • Damage due to general wear and tear, or lack of maintenance.
  • Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm.
  • A claim because of a deliberate, malicious or unlawful act by you or your family.
  • Items held or used for business reasons (other than home office equipment and furniture).
  • Electrical or mechanical breakdowns, like a TV not working due to a mechanical fault.

Please check the policy document for further details.

How much cover do I need?

This’ll depend on how much stuff you have.

When getting a quote, you’ll need to decide what cover level you need. This is the maximum we’ll pay if you need to make a contents claim and is why you need to tell us the right amount when getting your quote so you don’t underinsure yourself. 

What type of contents insurance do I need?

In the event of a claim your policy covers you up to the contents sum insured shown below. More specific limits apply which are also shown below and are included in your overall contents sum insured unless indicated otherwise.

Contents sum insured



Total valuables limit£20,000


Home office equipment£10,000Unlimited
Replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolenUp to £250Unlimited
Food in freezers£50,000Unlimited
Loss of domestic heating fuel and metered water£2,000Unlimited
Loss of rent and the cost of alternative accommodation£25,000Unlimited
Household removals£50,000Unlimited
Occupier’s and personal liability*£5,000,000£5,000,000
Employer’s liability*


Tenant’s liability£10,000£10,000
Emergency access£50,000Unlimited
Garden re-landscaping£2,500£2,500
Personal money in the home£500£500
Visitors’ personal belongings£1,000£1,000
Contents in the garden**£500Unlimited
Contents in garage/outbuildings**£750£2,500
Matching itemsNot covered Unlimited
Accidental damageOptionalOptional
UK based claims team to support you with every step of your contents claim
green tick
green tick

Defaqto rating

What is Defaqto? Defaqto is an independent financial information business. Their Star Rating reflects the level of features and benefits offered within a financial product. The more comprehensive the level of features and benefits offered by a product, the higher the Defaqto Star Rating it’s given. 

Defaqto 3-star expert rated for Home Insurance (Classic) 2024
Defaqto 5-star expert rated for Home Insurance (Plus) 2024

 * These limits are not included within the overall contents sum insured.
** Limit applies to theft or attempted theft claims only (contents limit applies to other types of claim).

Policy terms and conditions, other cover limits, restrictions and exclusions apply. Please see the important information and policy documents section below. You can also read our Terms of Business. 

Is contents insurance worth it?  

Contents insurance can give you peace of mind should the worst happen. 

For example, if there was a fire or flood in your home and your things were damaged, could you afford to replace them? If not, then contents insurance may be worth thinking about.   

We’ve made it easy to get a contents insurance quote

Or you can call us on 0800 028 0650

Call charges 

Your step-by-step guide

1. Take out a policy

You can get a quote online in minutes or by calling 0800 028 0650

2. Decide how you want to pay

You can choose to pay annually or spread the cost and pay monthly at no extra cost.

3. Make a claim

You can register your claim online or speak to our UK-based claims team on 0345 301 0661. You’ll need  your insurance policy to hand.

4. Pay out

Once a claim is approved, a  payout will be made.

Additional cover


Tailor your policy to suit your needs with additional cover available for an extra cost.

Personal belongings

A wider level of cover for your belongings and personal money, in and away from the home, anywhere in the world.

Pedal cycles

Covers you for loss or damage to your pedal cycles (including electrically assisted ones) anywhere in the world. Up to £5,000 per pedal cycle.

Accidental damage

Additional cover for sudden and unexpected damage like spilling a drink on your sofa if you have contents cover.

Legal services

This could provide a lawyer and up to £50,000 in legal costs to pursue or defend disputes in court.

Home emergency cover

Provides a tradesperson to attend in an emergency relating to loss of an essential service to the home. Up to £1,000 per claim to cover parts, labour and VAT.
Please read the important information and documents section below for more details.

2% cashback

Earn 2% cashback on Santander Home Insurance premiums, (administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited) when you pay by Direct Debit from your 1|2|3, Select or 1|2|3 Lite Current Account . While you can't open these accounts anymore, you can still earn cashback.

The amount of cashback you can earn is capped at £5 per month in each of the 1%, 2% and 3% cashback categories.

Important information

Santander Home Insurance is subject to terms and conditions, restrictions and exclusions. Examples include:

  • Damage that happens gradually, faulty materials or workmanship and breakdown or faults.
  • Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic pets.
  • Gates and fences are excluded from storm damage claims.


Additional excesses and individual limits apply to certain areas of cover which will be shown in your policy schedule.

Aviva reserves the right to refuse cover.

You’ll find further details in the documents below along with our Terms of Business. To view, you may need to download Adobe Reader

Key documents

If you would like to speak to us, you can call 0800 028 0650. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 4pm.

Yes, if you add Personal  belongings’ to your contents policy. It can come in handy if you’re taking things like your laptop, jewellery or camera out.

If the total amount covered by your home insurance policy is less than the current replacement value of the contents of your home, then you’re underinsured. The amount you’re insured for should reflect the total cost of replacing all your contents at current prices, not the amount you paid for them.