Home insurance

Administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited

Costa santander cup of coffe

Administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.


Costa santander cup of coffe

Get a £4 Costa voucher as a thank you for quoting.

T&Cs below. Combined policies. Subject to availability

or call 0800 028 0650

Choose cover to suit you

  • Combined buildings and contents insurance
  • Buildings insurance which covers damage to your home
  • Contents insurance which is ideal if you’re renting
  •  Add accidental damage and other optional extras, so you only pay for those if you need them
  • UK-based claims team. Register your claim online
  • Choice of Classic or Plus cover 

What's more

  • Treat yourself at Costa coffee when you do a quote Full T's and C's

  • No charge to make changes to your policy

  • Earn 2% cashback on your home insurance when you pay from certain Santander current accounts 
  • No interest on monthly premiums

Already have a home insurance policy with us? Take a look at our insurance support pages 

Types of cover we offer


Buildings and contents

Protects both your home and what’s inside it. You may decide to choose this if you’re a homeowner

Get a buildings and contents quote


Contents only

Could be ideal for renters as contents only cover protects your belongings 

Get a contents only quote


Buildings only

Protects just your property but includes fixtures and fittings such as bathrooms and kitchens 

Get a buildings only quote

Insurance cover to suit you

We can offer you the choice between two levels of defaqto rated cover: our Classic policy or our Plus policy. See the table below to compare the differences between the two. 

The table below provides a summary of some of the features of each cover level. Full details of our cover limits (82 KB) are available.

Product featuresClassicPlus
Building's sum insured. This is the maximum you can claim for loss or damage to the property caused by certain events, such as a storm or flood. 

Up to £500,000


Content sum insured. This covers loss or damage to the possessions in your home.Up to £50,000


Cover limit for valuables in the home.£20,000£50,000
Alternative accommodation or loss of rent.Up to £25,000Unlimited
Trace and access, which deals with finding the source of a leak.Up to £2,500Up to £5,000
Replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolen.Up to £250Unlimited
Accidental damage.OptionalOptional
Contents temporarily removed from your home.Up to £10,000Up to £10,000
UK-based claims team to support you with every step of your claim.
green tick
green tick
Named personal claims handler.
green tick
green tick
Contents lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair will be replaced with new ones.
green tick
green tick


Defaqto rating

Defaqto is an independent financial information business. Their Star Rating reflects the level of features and benefits offered within a financial product. The more comprehensive the level of features and benefits offered by a product, the higher the Defaqto Star Rating it's given.

defaqto Expert Rated Home Insurance 2022 - 3 star
defaqto Expert Rated Home Insurance 2022 - 5 star

Policy terms and conditions, other cover limits, restrictions and exclusions apply. Please read the important information for more details and our Terms of Business.

    What is home insurance?

    Home insurance protects against some unexpected costs, such as loss or damage to your home or belongings.

    You can add accidental damage cover to your policy for an additional cost. This gives extra cover against costs from things such as spillages or breakages.

    You can choose to take out: 

    • buildings insurance
    • contents insurance
    • or a combination of both.

    See our sections below to find out about how each policy works. 

    What is contents insurance?

    Contents insurance protects your belongings against the cost of unexpected things happening, such as: 

    • theft
    • vandalism
    • fire
    • or flooding. 

    Many people combine contents cover with their buildings insurance. This is so they can protect their personal items as well as their home. 

    If you rent your home, you may not need buildings insurance as it's usually your landlord's job to take care of that. But most landlords won't cover your own belongings. Because of this, you may want to take out contents insurance to be sure you have cover.

    What is buildings insurance?

    Buildings insurance will cover your home and any fixtures and fittings (such as your kitchen or bathroom) against the cost of damage from things like: 

    • fire
    • subsidence
    • bad weather
    • other unexpected events. 

    Buildings insurance is normally compulsory if you have a mortgage. If you live in a flat, you may only need buildings insurance if you own the freehold. If it's leasehold, it’s likely to be the landlord’s job to insure their property, although you should check.

    You can take out building insurance on its own, or you can also protect the contents in your home. A combined buildings and contents home insurance policy will give you cover for both.

    2% cashback

    Earn 2% cashback on Santander Home Insurance premiums, (administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited) when you pay by Direct Debit from your 1|2|31|2|3 Lite or Select Current Account

    The amount of cashback you can earn is capped at £5 per month in each of the 1%, 2% and 3% cashback categories.

    More about our 1|2|3, 1|2|3 Lite and Select Current Accounts

    The 1|2|3 Current Account and Select Current Account have a £4 monthly fee to maintain the account and the 1|2|3 Lite Current Account has a £2 monthly fee to maintain the account. To earn cashback you must pay in at least £500 a month (excludes internal transfer) and have at least two active Direct Debits. 1|2|3 Lite Current Account customers must also log on to Online or Mobile Banking at least once in every three months.

    Cashback is paid monthly. You may hold a maximum of two 1|2|3 Current Accounts or Select Current Accounts, one in your name and one in joint names. You must be 18 or over and a UK resident. For details of our fees and interest rates, visit our current accounts page or ask for the latest Key Facts Document in branch.

    Tailor your policy to suit your needs with additional cover available for an extra cost.

    Personal belongings

    A wider level of cover for your belongings and personal money, in and away from the home, anywhere in the world.

    Pedal cycles

    Covers you for loss or damage to your pedal cycles (including electrically assisted ones) anywhere in the world. Up to £5,000 per pedal cycle.

    Accidental damage

    Additional cover for sudden and unexpected damage like spilling a drink on your sofa if you have contents cover or, if you have buildings cover, putting your foot through a ceiling when carrying out DIY.

    Legal services

    This could provide a lawyer and up to £50,000 in legal costs to pursue or defend disputes in court.

    Home emergency cover

    Provides a tradesperson to attend in an emergency relating to loss of an essential service to the home. Up to £1,000 per claim to cover parts, labour and VAT.

    Please read the important information and documents section below for more details.

    Important information

    Santander Home Insurance is subject to terms and conditions, restrictions and exclusions. Examples include:

    • Damage that happens gradually, faulty materials or workmanship and breakdown or faults.
    • Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic pets.
    • Gates and fences are excluded from storm damage claims.

    Additional excesses and individual limits apply to certain areas of cover which will be shown in your policy schedule.

    Aviva reserves the right to refuse cover.

    You’ll find further details in the documents below along with our Terms of Business. To view you may need to download Adobe Reader

    If you would like to speak to us, you can call 0800 028 0650. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 4pm. Please note that during the Coronavirus pandemic, lines may close earlier.

      Need to make a claim?

      Ready for a quote?

      Get your quote online in minutes

      Switch quickly and easily

      Switch to us and we'll refund your cancellation fee.
      We'll refund any fee you may have to pay to cancel your existing policy - simply complete our form and make sure you have started your new policy before cancelling the old one.