Supported banking

For when you need someone else to help with your money


Asking someone to help you with your money

If you need extra help with your money, or you want to make plans for a time when you might not be able to manage your money yourself, you can think about a few options. 

  • Carers Card – an account you can add money to so that someone you trust can get you cash or help with shopping.
  • Third party access – lets you keep control of your accounts, but get help with your day-to-day banking from someone you choose. 
  • Power of Attorney – lets you give someone the legal authority to deal with organisations such as banks or the local council for you. In some cases Power of Attorney can give your chosen person the legal power to make decisions on your behalf such as managing your finances.
  • Court of Protection (Scottish Guardianships or Controllerships in Northern Ireland) – if you’re no longer able to make financial decisions yourself, the court will help decide who can help make decisions for you. 
  • Dementia-friendly banking - we’re working in partnership with Alzheimer’s Society to become a truly dementia-friendly bank. Find out the type of support and guidance we can offer.

If you're having difficulty figuring out what help you need (for yourself or someone else) try, Find your supported banking. Answer a few simple questions and we'll help you decide.