We’re working in partnership with Alzheimer’s Society to become a dementia-friendly bank. We know that, with the right support, it’s possible to live well with dementia.
Our staff, branches and contact centres are more dementia-friendly
Living with dementia?
Your independence shouldn’t end when dementia begins. We’re asking our customers affected by dementia to let us know about their diagnosis and challenges. We’re here to help, with products and services to support you. Talk to us privately in branch or over the phone on 0330 9 123 123.
We've worked with Alzheimer's Society since 2019 to better help our customers affected by dementia.
Since then, we’ve been putting their ideas into action. We’ve:
- trained staff
- created more dementia-friendly products
- made branches more dementia friendly and
- improved internal policies.
We want to make sure that our staff understand what dementia is and how it might affect our customers.
Over 11,500 people have become ‘Dementia Friends’ through Alzheimer's Society, raising awareness about dementia. This includes people in our head offices as well as customer-facing roles in branches and call centres. They have the tools to offer help and raise awareness about dementia.
Around 130 of our staff have received training to become ‘Dementia Ambassadors’. They act as points of contact across the business for both customers and colleagues affected by dementia.
Santander dementia steering group
We created the Santander Dementia Steering Group to support our dementia-friendly initiatives.
The group’s panel is made up of people with dementia and carers who look at our products and services with dementia in mind.
Our dementia guide
We know that there's a lot of information out there, and it can be hard to know where to look. Which is why we’ve worked with Alzheimer's Society to create a practical dementia guide.
This guide looks at how we can help people affected by dementia. It can also help you learn about other supported banking options, for example:
- Power of Attorney, which lets you arrange for someone you trust to make decisions on your behalf.
- Carer's Card Account, which lets you give debit cards to up to 2 people who care for you.
Help from Alzheimer’s Society
Alzheimer’s Society supports people affected by dementia. This includes family members and carers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You’ll can get help and information you need at any time, no matter what you’re going through.
- Call their Dementia Connect support line on 0333 150 3456. Phone support is available 7 days a week. (A Welsh-speaking support line is available on 0330 094 7400).
- Find a wealth of information on their website
- Join their online community where you can connect with others in a similar situation
Supported banking for you or yours
For more information about how our products and services may help you, look at our supported banking page.