Stress-free switching in just 7 working days
- You can either switch to a new account, or one you've already got with us.
- Our dedicated switcher team will switch of all your Direct Debits, standing orders and your salary.
- Choose when your switch starts – this can be up to 60 days in the future.
- It will only take 7 working days.
- We will keep you updated of progress by letter, text and email.
- We'll close your old account and redirect any payments to your Santander Current Account.
- You could get a 4 month fee-free Arranged Overdraft when you switch to us. Overdrafts are offered depending on your circumstances.
- After the fee-free period, arranged overdraft interest may apply, depending on your account.
You can also choose to switch to Santander from a bank or building society that is not a participant in the Current Account Switch Service free of charge. For more information please read our Current account Switch Guarantee
Switching your overdraft
Current accounts that include an overdraft can switch to us using the Current Account Switch Service. If you’d like to have an overdraft with your new Santander bank account, speak to us before starting your switch. We'll be able to advise if you’re eligible for an overdraft, which is dependant on our lending criteria and your credit status
We will switch your current account in 7 working days.
Switching and Third Party Provider (TPP) services
If you’re using any services provided by TPPs on the current account you’re switching over to us then this access will not be switched to your new account.
They might include services like aggregation (the ability to see your accounts from more than one provider in one place), money management or other services where you’re providing permission for a third party company to have access to information, or carry out payments on your behalf. Our terms and conditions provide more information about TPPs permissions.
There’s a couple of simple things you’ll need to do to move these services over to your new account.
- If you don’t know which TPP’s are accessing your account then before you close your old account, check which permissions are active.
- When your new account is open you’ll need to set up access to your new account with your TPP.
There are some types of accounts that can’t be used with TPP’s. Current accounts that you can use online will be included.
Learn more about
We offer a simple, reliable and stress-free way to switch your current account to a new or existing Santander account.
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
How to switch
Switching to Santander is stress-free and can be completed in just 7 working days. Check if your current bank or building society is signed up to the Current Account Switch Service
If you don't already hold a Santander current account, you can apply online or in branch. We will ask you during the application if you want to switch an account you hold elsewhere to Santander.
If you're an existing customer we can also arrange to switch a current account you hold elsewhere to your existing Santander current account. Simply visit your local branch. An appointment may need to be booked.
To switch you'll need to give us
- your existing sort code and account number
- your existing debit card number and expiry date. If you are switching a joint account to us, we'll need the debit card details for all applicants.
Switch to one of the following accounts
Everyday Current Account
1|2|3 Current Account
1|2|3 Lite Current Account
Changing your existing Santander account
If you already have an account with us it’s easy to change to a different one. You can compare our accounts, then go to the page for the account you want to change to and choose ‘Change my existing account’ then follow the instructions. (This isn’t part of the Current Account Switch Service).