Santander Life Insurance Plan, Life & Critical Illness Plan, Critical Illness Plan and Over 50s Life Insurance policies are administered and underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited, registered in England No 3253947, Aviva, Wellington Row, York, YO90 1WR. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 185896. Member of the Association of British Insurers. www.aviva.co.uk
Get a quote in minutes
Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Life insurance aims to pay a one-off lump sum if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness within the term of the policy.
- Critical Illness Insurance aims to pay a one-off lump sum if you’re diagnosed with a specified critical illness (not all conditions are covered).
- At Santander we offer these two types of insurance through Aviva. You can buy them separately, or combined.
Do I need decreasing cover or level cover?
Decreasing cover runs for a fixed time, with the lump sum reducing each month broadly in line with the amount outstanding on a Repayment (Capital and Interest) mortgage. The monthly payments, known as the premiums, stay the same. There's no guarantee that this cover will be enough to repay your mortgage in full.
You can apply for decreasing cover life or critical illness insurance online or in one of our branches
Level cover runs for a fixed time and is often used to protect Interest Only mortgages. The cover and premium stays the same for the life of the policy.
You can only apply for level life cover or critical illness insurance in our branches.
Combined life and critical illness insurance Taking out this combined insurance would mean you have cover available in case of critical illness or death. The policy will only pay out once, either for critical illness or death.
Whether you want decreasing or level cover, if you'd like combined life and critical illness cover you'll need to apply in one of our branches.
Applying for life protection
Apply online or over the phone.
- If you don’t need advice, call us on 0800 028 3744.
- To book an appointment in a branch (where you will receive protection advice), please call 0800 068 6699.
Things to consider
- To make a claim for critical illness, you'll need to meet the policy definition, which could require you to have permanent symptoms, an illness of a specified severity or undergo surgery.
- Not all critical illnesses are covered. For a full list of illnesses that are covered by the plan, you should refer to the Critical Illness Plan Policy Summary and Policy Conditions.
- When a claim for the main benefit has been paid, your policy will end and cover will stop.
- At the end of your policy's term, or if you stop paying premiums, your cover will end, and you will get nothing back.
- Make sure you're aware of the eligibility criteria, which can be found in the policy summary, before applying.
- Option to have a single or joint policy. If you have joint cover, the policy only pays out once.
- The policy has no cash-in value at any time.
You can put your life insurance policy in trust.
The lump sum paid out on death is currently free from income and capital gains tax. Your policy may be subject to inheritance tax unless you put it in a suitable trust. If you're unsure on whether you should put your policy in trust you should seek specialist legal advice. Tax rules may change in the future.
The Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulatory Authority do not regulate taxation and trust advice.
2% cashback for 1|2|3, 1|2|3 Lite and Select Current Account customers
Earn 2% cashback on Santander life protection premiums (policies administered and underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited) when you pay by Direct Debit from your 1|2|3, 1|2|3 Lite or Select Current Account.
The 1|2|3 Current Account and Select Current Account have a £5 monthly account fee and the 1|2|3 Lite Current Account has a £1 monthly account fee.
To earn cashback you must pay in at least £500 a month (excludes internal transfer) and have at least two active Direct Debits. 1|2|3 Lite Current Account customers must also log on to Online or Mobile Banking at least once in every three months.
Cashback is paid monthly. You may hold a maximum of two 1|2|3 Current Accounts or Select Current Accounts, one in your name and one in joint names. You must be 18 or over and a UK resident.
How can we help you?
Make a claim
How to find your policy documents
Make a change to an existing policy
How to update your contact details
Santander UK plc. Registered Office: 2 Triton Square, Regent's Place, London, NW1 3AN, United Kingdom. Registered Number 2294747. Registered in England and Wales. www.santander.co.uk. Telephone 0800 389 7000. Calls may be recorded or monitored. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Our Financial Services Register number is 106054. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website www.fca.org.uk/register. Santander and the flame logo are registered trademarks.