It's important to keep your spending within your means and to save money where you can. We’re here to help you get the most out of your money with a few tips on managing how you spend.
Looking for a budget planner? Check out our money worries page.
Cut your energy spend
Millions of UK households are on standard energy tariffs and likely overpay for their electricity and gas. In just a few minutes, you can switch to a less expensive tariff.
- Enter a few details about your home and energy consumption habits to get a list of energy tariff options.
- Choose the provider and tariff that suits your needs.
- Your old energy account will be shut down and the new one seamlessly opened.
- Using the link to Ofgem, we'll help find you cheap energy deals in a few minutes.
Cancel unwanted subscriptions
In a survey we conducted recently, 62% of us admitted to paying for monthly subscriptions that we don’t need.
- Do a subscriptions spring clean and cancel the ones you don't want anymore. You'll save money every month.
- Don't fall for the 'Free trial trap’, where you sign up for a service that is initially free but then forget to cancel it.
- Use Mobile and Online Banking to spot repeating payments.
- Sign up for My Money Manager in Mobile Banking to get insights into your monthly subscriptions.
Reduce your TV spend
Are you paying for TV and video services that you don't watch?
- If you subscribe to Netflix, Sky or Virgin Media do you really need all the premium packages and channels you’re paying for?
- Are you paying for multi-screen packages but only tend to watch on one screen?
- Have you thought about TV providers such as All 4, BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub?
- Ofcom can help you compare your current deal to try and save you money.
Use less energy
Cut your energy usage to lower your bills.
- Don't leave items on standby.
- A one degree reduction in room temperature could save you £75 a year.
- Draught-proof your windows and doors.
- Ofgem can give you helpful tips on how to use less energy.
Watch your spend on food and coffees
Food is a big part of expenditure but there are things you can do to cut down.
- Can you buy fewer coffees and sandwiches outside the home?
- Try to cut down on the food you throw away - some people find that planning ahead and bulk cooking saves time and money.
- Use My Money Manager in our mobile app through the link below to track spend at particular restaurants or cafés.