Making a complaint
We always strive to provide you with the best products and services. Unfortunately things can go wrong sometimes, but telling us about it gives us the chance to fix things for you and make improvements.
We want to sort things out for you as soon as we can. The easiest and quickest way is by talking to our dedicated complaints team on 0800 171 2171.
Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complaints
For all PPI complaints, please call us on 0800 171 2171. We're available Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturday 8am - 4pm.
You'll find more information on how to complain about the PPI policy you bought from Santander here
For all other complaints:
- Call us free of charge from a UK landline or mobile on 0800 171 2171. We can resolve most complaints while you're on the phone.
- Our complaints team is available Monday to Friday 8am–6pm, and Saturday 9am–4pm. Our Mortgage and Business Banking complaints teams are available Monday to Friday 8am–6pm, and Saturday 9am–2pm.
- Please use chat in Online Banking to explain what's gone wrong.
- Visit us in a branch if you’d like to speak to one of our team in person. Find your nearest branch
- Write to us at: Complaints, Santander UK plc, PO Box 1125, Bradford, BD1 9PG. Please include as much detail as possible about what's gone wrong, along with your name, address, account number, contact number and a convenient time for us to call you to discuss your complaint.
Please provide us with as much information as possible when making your complaint. This will help us to understand the issue and resolve it quickly. Please include:
- your name and address
- your account details
- a description of your complaint and how it’s affected you
- when the issue happened
- a contact number (or other preferred method of contact) and a convenient time to contact you.
Why do we need this information?
We want to fully understand what's gone wrong. This is to make sure we get the right person handling your complaint, so they can investigate and fix the situation as soon as possible. We want to get you back into the position you would have been in had the issue not occurred.
Your contact details will help us get hold of you if we need to discuss your complaint, especially if we need any more information. Calls from us may appear as unknown or withheld numbers.
We'll record your complaint and do everything we can to resolve it quickly:
- We'll get in touch with you to discuss your complaint and agree the resolution to the problem.
- Calls from us may appear as unknown or withheld numbers.
If we can resolve your complaint within 3 business days following the day we received it, we’ll send you confirmation of this and we’ll also let you know about the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at this time.
For more complex issues, we may need more time to investigate your concerns. If this is the case:
- We'll send you an acknowledgement letter outlining the next steps and when you can expect to hear from us.
- We'll give you a reference number if you need to contact us.
- We'll keep you updated of our progress throughout our investigation.
- We may need to contact you for more information using your preferred method of contact.
Our final response
Once we've completed a thorough investigation, we'll give you a final response. This will outline the details of our investigation, how we reached our decision and what we’re going to do to put things right. It may also provide information about the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Business Banking Resolution Service.
We aim to resolve all complaints as quickly as possible and specific timescales apply to certain types of complaints:
Complaints relating to payments in or out of your account:
These include complaints about making or receiving payments on your Current Account, Credit Card or Instant Access Savings account.
- We’ll send you our final response as soon as we’ve completed our investigation. We have 15 days to resolve these complaints.
- If there are exceptional circumstances we may take longer than 15 days to investigate your complaint, we’ll however resolve all payment complaints within 35 days. We’ll write to you to let you know if we need longer than 15 days, we’ll also send you details about how to refer the matter the Financial Ombudsman if you would prefer not to wait for us to finish investigating your complaint.
All other complaints:
Although we have 56 days to resolve your complaint, we’ll send you our final response as soon as we’ve completed our investigation.
We’ll also keep you informed in writing along the way so you’ll know when to expect to hear from us.
If we haven’t been able to finalise our investigation by 56 days we’ll send you a letter letting you know and what steps you can take. These will include letting you know you can go to the Financial Ombudsman if you’d prefer not to wait until we’ve finalised our investigation.
If you need an update on what's happening, or to give us more information about an existing complaint, please contact the dedicated handler for your complaint directly - if you have their contact details. Please have your complaint reference number handy.
Alternatively you can:
Call us free of charge from a UK landline or mobile on 0800 171 2171 and choose Option 2.
Our complaints team is available Monday to Friday 8am–6pm, and Saturday 9am–4pm. Our Mortgage and Business Banking complaints teams are available Monday to Friday 8am–6pm, and Saturday 9am–2pm.
Please use chat in Online Banking to explain your request or give us more information.
Visit us in branch if you'd like to speak to one of our team in person. Find your nearest branch
If you don't agree with our resolution of your complaint and you'd like to take it further, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to look into it. This is a free, independent and impartial service that helps resolve disputes.
Although you can refer your complaint to the FOS at any time, they'll ask for our permission to investigate complaints where:
- You haven't complained to us first, to give us the chance to put things right.
- You have complained to us, but we haven’t given you our Final Response yet and we’re still within our timescales.
We'll send you the full details of our decision in our Final Response, including your right to refer your complaint to the FOS. If you do so, it should be within be 6 months of the date on our Final Response.
Phone: 0800 0 234 567 (free from UK landlines and mobiles)
Post: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR
If your complaint isn’t eligible for the Financial Ombudsman Service, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Business Banking Resolution Service (BBRS).
The BBRS is an independent organisation set up voluntarily by participating banks to resolve disputes.
The BBRS is free to use and has different eligibility considerations from the Financial Ombudsman Service. For further information, please visit the BBRS website or call them on 0345 646 8825. Alternatively, you can write to the BBRS, 70 Fleet St, London EC4Y 1EU.