Dormant and lost accounts

If you don’t make any transactions on your account within a certain period of time (one year for banking accounts and three years for savings accounts) then we may treat it as being dormant to remove the risk of fraudulent activity. We’ll try and contact you before this happens.

It’s important to keep us up to date with your contact details, including telephone numbers and email addresses so that we can stay in touch with you. See the Changing your details page for more information.

While your account is dormant you won’t be able to make any transactions, including withdrawals or deposits and we’ll stop sending you statements, letters and cards. The money in your account is still yours, and it will continue to earn interest, if applicable at the rate offered on the account(s).

When we are treating your account as dormant it will need to be reactivated by us before you can use it or close it.  

You can start this process in several ways.

  • Log on to Mobile or Online Banking and send us a message in our secure chat service. Just ask to reactivate or close your dormant account(s) and follow the steps.
  • Visit one of our branches. Please see our list of ID for information on what you may need to bring.
  • Alternatively, you can contact us

Please have any documents about the account(s) to hand to help us find it quicker. These could be old bank statements, passbooks, correspondence, or any other relevant information relating to your account(s).

We take part in the Dormant Assets Scheme. This voluntary scheme:

  •  Allows money held in dormant accounts for 15 years or more to be used to help communities across the UK.
  • Makes sure the account holder (or beneficiaries) can get the funds in their dormant account(s) at any time.

Under the Dormant Assets Scheme, we may move the funds from your dormant account(s) to Reclaim Fund Ltd (RFL). If we transfer the balance of your account to RFL:

  • We will only send the funds of your dormant account to RFL, and not your personal data.
  • We will continue to be your point of contact. If you have any questions or want to get the funds from your dormant account, please contact us.
  • Your money is safe. RFL is owned by His Majesty’s Treasury. Learn more can help you trace lost personal accounts if you are unsure of which bank or building society holds the account to which you have entitlement, including instances where the bank or building society has since closed or merged. National Savings and Investments (NS&I) can also be traced using this service.

It's a free service bringing together the three tracing schemes of UK Finance (UKF), the Building Societies Association (BSA) and (NS&I) into a single website. This means that anyone with a lost account with a bank, a building society, NS&I (or all three) can initiate a search simply by visiting this website and completing only one application form.

Was this helpful?

Ask us a question

We'll help you get the
answers you need

Do your banking online

Ways for you to manage your
money without leaving home