Pay quickly, conveniently and securely with contactless
We have a range of debit and credit cards with contactless technology. This means you can pay for purchases of up to £30 in seconds wherever you see the Contactless Indicator.
- Quick and easy: place your card against the reader, wait for the confirmation response and your payment is complete.
- Convenient: no need to worry about loose change or remembering your PIN.
- Secure: contactless uses the same security features as Chip and PIN (you can learn more about this in the 'Security' section).
- Flexible: you can choose to use contactless or not as your card can still be used for Chip and PIN transactions.
We'll automatically send you a contactless card when your current card expires, or if you apply for an eligible Santander current account or any Santander credit card.
Top-up debit cards issued on the Basic Current Account are not contactless.
- To see if you’re eligible for a new contactless debit card on your Santander current account, please visit your local branch or call us on 0800 707 6692. Our lines are open 8am-9pm Monday to Friday and 8am-4pm on Saturday.
- To get a new contactless credit card before automatic renewal, please call 0800 9 123 123. Our lines are open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sunday.
When you get your new contactless card, you must use it for a Chip and PIN or ATM transaction before making a contactless purchase (so we know you’ve received your card). Once you’ve done that, you’re ready to make contactless payments.
If you have any questions about your contactless card you may find the answer in our Frequently Asked Questions below. Otherwise give us a call on:
- 0800 707 6692 for debit cards
- 0800 9 123 123 for credit cards
Any retailer who displays the Contactless Indicator can accept contactless payments.
You must use your new contactless card with your PIN at least once then follow the steps below to start making contactless payments:
- When paying for purchases of up to £30, look for the Contactless Indicator
- Touch the reader with your contactless card
- Confirm successful payment when you see the green light and hear the beep
- The reader will confirm that your payment is approved
If you touch your purse or wallet containing more than one contactless card (including an Oyster card, contactless debit or credit card) on a reader you could experience card clash. Therefore we strongly recommend that you remove the card you want to use from your wallet or purse when touching the reader to make sure the right card is used. But don’t worry, if you do present two cards to the reader by mistake, only one payment will be taken.
The Contactless Indicator mark, consisting of four graduating arcs, is a trademark owned by and used with permission of EMVCo, LLC.
Security is our priority
Making payments without entering any security details or a PIN may raise some concerns. We’d like to reassure you just how safe and secure contactless payments actually are.
Contactless uses the latest secure encryption technology (the same as Chip and PIN) so you can feel confident when using it to pay for things. It only works when a card is close to the card reader. This makes it virtually impossible for any details to be intercepted while in use. For extra protection, sometimes you may have to enter your PIN during a contactless transaction just to make sure it’s always you using the card.
When you pay with contactless:
- You’ll have a record of all your everyday purchases on your account statement.
- The contactless card readers can only carry out one transaction at a time; each transaction must be complete or void before another can take place.
- You can’t unknowingly make a purchase as you walk past a reader because the retailer must have entered the amount for you to approve first, and then your card has to be held within a few centimetres of the reader for longer than half a second.
Lost or stolen cards
If your card is lost or stolen, you’re protected against fraud provided you let us know as soon as you realise your card is lost or stolen and you have taken the proper precautions to keep your card and security details safe, as outlined in our terms and conditions.
If your card is lost or stolen or you think that it or the personal security details or card number may be misused, or that someone may know your personal security details or PIN, you must tell us as soon as possible by calling 0800 9 123 123. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.