Arranging Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney lets you arrange for someone you trust to manage your finances on your behalf. You may want to do this due to a change in your health or a change in your circumstances, such as moving abroad.

There are different types of Power of Attorney, and you may want to arrange more than one:

Ordinary Power of Attorney is typically used to cover a temporary period, such as a hospital stay or holiday, or for those who find it hard to get to a branch. Ordinary Power of Attorney can only be used while you can make your own decisions.

Lasting Power of Attorney is typically used to give someone the legal authority over your finances if you lose your mental capacity. You can also plan for it to come into force at a future time.

Court of Protection is used when you lose your mental capacity and have no Power of Attorney in place. The Court of Protection can appoint someone to make decisions on your behalf. The UK government has provided some useful guidance on this process.

Citizen's Advice or a solicitor can help set up the relevant Power of Attorney with you and help you get the documents we need to see. You can then call us on 0800 414 8414 or book an appointment in your branch.
We will process your request within ten working days of receiving your documents.

Download our factsheet
Our Power of Attorney helpline is open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.

Send us a tweet

Please don’t tweet your personal

  or banking details

Visit us in branch