Our tips for protecting yourself from fraud and scams
With fraud costing people in the UK around £10.9 billion every year, here are our top 5 tips to spotting scams and staying safe.
- Never share a Santander One Time Passcode (OTP) with another person, not even a Santander employee.
- Never download software or let anyone remotely log on to your computer or devices, either during or after a cold call.
- Never enter your Online Banking details after clicking a link in an email or text message.
- Never transfer or withdraw money out of your account if you’re instructed to do so for security reasons.
- Never set up new or change existing payment details without first verifying the request directly with the person or company you’re paying, preferably using existing contact details.
These are just our top tips. You'll find more detail on keeping yourself secure, including fraud, scams and protecting yourself online in our other fraud and security pages.
These websites explain even more about online security and how to protect yourself from fraud and scams as well as giving general advice.
It’s important to remember that these are external sites. Santander have no control over their content and clicking on these links means you’ll be leaving the Santander website.
Action Fraud – information about fraud and financially motivated internet crime. This site also contains information on the different types of fraud and how you can avoid becoming a victim.
Age UK – providing a free national advice line and local advice.
CIFAS –a UK fraud prevention service offering ‘Protective Registration’ to individuals who have fallen victim to, or are at risk of, identity theft.
Citizens Advice – provides free, independent and confidential advice on rights and responsibilities.
Experian – access your credit report and score, and get online identity protection and alerts.
Financial Ombudsman Service – supports customers with most financial services
Payment Systems Regulator (PSR) – ensures that payment systems are operated and developed in a way that considers and promotes the interests of all the businesses and consumers that use them.
Trading Standards –provides leadership, influence, support and resources to help combat consumer and business detriment nationally, regionally and locally.
Trusteer Rapport – provides free security software to help protect you against Online Banking identify theft and fraud.