Free four-year Santander 16-25 Railcard
Quick and easy online openings with the ability to manage money on the go using with online and mobile banking
Interest and fee free overdraft plus credit interest up to three per cent
As the student account season starts to hot up, Santander is announcing that it has renewed its partnership with the Rail Delivery Group (previously the Association of Train Operating Companies) to continue offering the free four-year Santander 16-25 Railcard, saving students an average of £767.1
Santander’s 1|2|3 Student Current Account, which is available online, also provides other benefits and features tailored for students:
- interest-free and fee-free arranged overdraft of up to £1,500 in the first three years of study, and up to £2,000 if staying on to five years;
- in-credit interest of three per cent on balances of £300 to £2,000;
- contactless debit card and access to Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay; and
- access to exclusive 1|2|3 World offers, such as 30 per cent off travel insurance, as well as up to 15 per cent cashback at major retailers.
Last year, Santander retained its position as the largest provider of student accounts with over two in five new student current accounts being opened with the bank.2
Matt Hall, Head of Banking, Santander said: “With such a great range of benefits designed for students, our award-winning3 1|2|3 Student Current Account remains a very popular choice for those heading off to university and their first taste of financial independence. Managing money is such an important part of student life and we’re here to make their money go further so students can enjoy all that university has to offer.”
Jyoti Bird, Director - Marketing, Innovation, Retailing Partnerships for National Rail added: “Here at National Rail we are particularly interested in helping students through great deals. On average, students with a four-year 16-25 Railcard save £767 as they get a third off on rail journeys - even cheaper Advance fares. Which means they can travel to see friends and family for less.”
Since 2007, Santander Universities has invested £59.5 million in the UK and this is expected to exceed £69 million by the end of 2017. The bank supports higher education with a number of schemes to provide financial support, investment and opportunities to students all over the UK, including scholarships and internships. Santander Universities has 81 direct UK University relationships and partnerships continue to expand.
To open an account or for more information, visit www.santander.co.uk/student.
The information contained in our press releases is intended solely for journalists and should not be used by consumers to make financial decisions.
Notes to Editors
- Student case studies are available
- Average annual 16-25 Railcard saving over 4 years based on multiplying the latest 16-25 Railcard saving figure from April 2016 – March 2017 by four is £767.
- Santander had a 41% Market Share of new student accounts in 2016, making it the largest provider of student accounts according to data from CACI.
- Winner of the Your Money Awards 2016: Best Online Direct Student Banking Provider
- Santander’s 1|2|3 Student Current Account:
Credit interest on the balance:
- 1.00 per cent AER/gross (variable) on balances £100 or more
- 2.00 per cent AER/ 1.98 per cent gross (variable) on balances £200 or more
- 3.00 per cent AER/ 2.96 per cent gross (variable) on balances £300 or more (up to £2000)
Interest-free and fee-free Arranged Overdraft:
- £1,500 in years 1, 2 and 3
- Up to £2,000 over years 4 and 5
VISA debit contactless card (subject to status)
Easy access - withdraw up to £300 daily without charge
Online and Mobile banking - allowing customers to check statements, pay bills, move money and lots more
Terms and conditions apply. Please visit www.santander.co.uk/student.
Santander UK is a financial services provider in the UK that offers a wide range of personal and commercial financial products and services. It has brought real competition to the UK, through its 1|2|3 products for retail customers and relationship banking model for UK SMEs. As at 31 December 2015, Santander UK was one of the most switched to banks. The bank serves more than 14 million active customers with c. 20,000 employees and operates through 857 branches and 70 regional Corporate Business Centres. Santander UK is subject to the full supervision of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) in the UK. Santander UK plc customers are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) in the UK.
Santander, through Santander Universities, tops the list of Fortune 500 in investment in education (Source: Varkey Report/UNESCO). The Bank has established partnerships with over 1,200 universities in 20 countries, of which 81 in the UK. Through these agreements Santander promotes entrepreneurship, employability and internationalisation.
Banco Santander (SAN.MC, STD.N, BNC.LN) is a leading retail and commercial bank, based in Spain, with a meaningful market share in 10 core countries in Europe and the Americas. Santander is the largest bank in the euro zone by market capitalization and among the top banks on a global basis. Founded in 1857, Santander had EUR 1.51 trillion in managed funds, 13,000 branches and 194,000 employees at the close of 2015. In 2015, Santander made attributable profit of EUR 5,966 million, a 3% increase with respect to the previous year.
Miranda Seymour Tel: +44 (0) 207 756 4189 Mob: +44 (0) 7860 857999
The press office operates from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours please call 0800 5877708.