As thousands of new students across the UK prepare to leave school and home for the first time, Santander will continue to offer it’s 1|2|3 Student Current Account with a free four-year Santander 16-25 Railcard in partnership with the Rail Delivery Group. The card enables students to benefit from a third off standard rail fares, saving an average of £7671 over four years.
Santander’s railcard is available to full time students in higher education as well as to the increasing number of school leavers who are taking up higher or degree level apprenticeships2. In 2016/17 there were 36,000 apprenticeships in the market and this figure is expected to grow in 2017/18.
Matt Hall, Head of Banking, Santander said: “For students and apprentices, this important time of their life often brings with it the first big step towards financial independence. Our award winning 1|2|3 Student Current Account provides the financial support they need at this exciting time.”
Last year, Santander retained its position as the largest provider of new student accounts with over a third of new UK undergraduates choosing to bank with Santander3.
Santander’s 1|2|3 Student Current Account, which is available online and to all students, regardless of their year of study, also provides other benefits and features tailored for students and apprentices:
- Interest and fee-free arranged overdraft of £1,500 in the first three years of study, £1,800 in their fourth year and £2,000 in their fifth year (if they continue with their studies);
- In-credit interest of up to three per cent on balances of £300 to £2,000;
- Access to exclusive 1|2|3 World offers, such as 30 per cent off travel insurance, as well as up to 15 per cent cashback at major retailers;
- A contactless debit card and access to Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay;
- Up to 15 per cent cash back on debit card spending at major retailers and access to exclusive 1|2|3 World offers, such as 30 per cent off travel insurance; and
- Free services to stay on top of finances, including online and mobile banking as well as SMS and email account alerts.
Since 2007, Santander Universities has invested £69 million in the UK and has committed to over £79 million by the end of 2018. The bank supports higher education with a number of schemes aimed at improving access to education, entrepreneurship and employability. Santander Universities has 84 direct UK University relationships and over 1,200 globally.
To open an account or for more information, visit www.santander.co.uk/student.
The information contained in our press releases is intended solely for journalists and should not be used by consumers to make financial decisions.
Notes to Editors:
Student case studies are available on request
- Average annual 16-25 Railcard saving over four years based on multiplying the latest 16-25 Railcard saving figure from April 2017 - March 2018 by four is £767.
- Level four to seven.
- Santander had a 34 per cent market share of new student account openings in 2017, making it the largest provider of new student accounts in 2017 according to data from CACI.
Santander’s 1|2|3 Student Current Account:
Credit interest on the balance:
- 1.00 per cent AER/gross (variable) on balances £100 or more
- 2.00 per cent AER/ 1.98 per cent gross (variable) on balances £200 or more
- 3.00 per cent AER/ 2.96 per cent gross (variable) on balances £300 or more (up to £2000)
Interest-free and fee-free Arranged Overdraft:
- £1,500 in years 1, 2 and 3
- Up to £2,000 over years 4 and 5
VISA debit contactless card (subject to status)
Easy access - withdraw up to £300 daily without charge
Online and Mobile banking - allowing customers to check statements, pay bills, move money and lots more
Terms and conditions apply. Please visit www.santander.co.uk/student.
Santander UK is a financial services provider in the UK that offers a wide range of personal and commercial financial products and services. It has brought real competition to the UK, through its innovative products for retail customers and relationship banking model for UK SMEs. At 31 March 2018, the bank has c19,500 employees. It serves around 14 million active customers, via a nationwide branch network, telephone, mobile and online banking; and 64 regional Corporate Business Centres. Santander UK is subject to the full supervision of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) in the UK. Santander UK plc customers are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) in the UK.
Banco Santander (SAN SM, STD US, BNC LN) is a leading retail and commercial bank, founded in 1857 and headquartered in Spain. It has a meaningful market share in 10 core countries in Europe and the Americas, and is the largest bank in the euro zone by market capitalization. At the end of 2017, Banco Santander had EUR 986 billion in customer funds (deposits and mutual funds), 133 million customers, 13,700 branches and 200,000 employees. Banco Santander made attributable profit of EUR 6,619 million in 2017, an increase of 7% compared to the previous year.
The press office operates from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours please call 0800 5877708.