Santander has today launched a simple, secure and free online service for friends and relatives to use when they need to let the bank know about a death.
Friends and relatives can already use Santander’s branch network or telephone service to let the bank know about a death, or notify the bank in writing. The new online service gives them another way to inform the bank, which some may find easier at what is a difficult time.
Key benefits of Santander’s new online service include:
- Individuals can both inform Santander about a death and provide (either by uploading online or sending via post) the required documents needed to begin closing accounts and moving funds in accordance with instructions provided;
- Friends and relatives can use the service from the comfort of their own home at the time of day that suits them, without the need to speak directly to the bank; and
- Santander’s specialist Bereavement Assist team will be on hand to offer support by telephone during the process if needed (see notes below for line opening hours).
This launch follows the recent announcement from UK Finance regarding the new Death Notification Service, which enables individuals to notify a number of banks and building societies of a death at the same time, simplifying the process of managing the estate of someone who has died.
Emma Radwell, Head of Bereaved Proposition at Santander said: “We understand it can be difficult and upsetting to have to contact organisations to confirm the death of a relative or friend and we want to support people in any way we can at what we know is a difficult time. We worked closely with UK Finance to design and deliver the Death Notification Service, and in parallel have developed our own online notification service.
“Santander has focused heavily in recent years on how we can improve the specialist bereavement support we offer and we hope this new online service will help make the administration following the death of a loved one slightly less stressful.”
The information contained in our press releases is intended solely for journalists and should not be used by consumers to make financial decisions.
Notes to Editors
- The online tool is available at https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/what-to-do-when-someone-dies.
- Our specialist bereavement team can be contacted by telephone on 0800 587 5870. Lines are open from 8am-7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday.
- If you would notify us via or branch network, you can check branches near you and their opening hours with our branch locator. If you would like to make an appointment in advance you can phone the bereavement team 0800 587 5870.
- To notify Santander of a bereavement in writing, you can send a letter to: Bereavement Centre, PO Box 524, Bradford, BD1 5ZH.
Santander UK is a financial services provider in the UK that offers a wide range of personal and commercial financial products and services. It has brought real competition to the UK, through its innovative products for retail customers and relationship banking model for UK SMEs. At 31 March 2018, the bank has c19,500 employees. It serves around 14 million active customers, via a nationwide branch network, telephone, mobile and online banking; and 64 regional Corporate Business Centres. Santander UK is subject to the full supervision of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) in the UK. Santander UK plc customers are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) in the UK.
Banco Santander (SAN SM, STD US, BNC LN) is a leading retail and commercial bank, founded in 1857 and headquartered in Spain. It has a meaningful market share in 10 core countries in Europe and the Americas, and is the largest bank in the euro zone by market capitalization. At the end of 2017, Banco Santander had EUR 986 billion in customer funds (deposits and mutual funds), 133 million customers, 13,700 branches and 200,000 employees. Banco Santander made attributable profit of EUR 6,619 million in 2017, an increase of 7% compared to the previous year.
The press office operates from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours please call 0800 5877708.