- Over 200 employees came together in Milton Keynes for classic 70s challenge in aid of charity partner Alzheimer’s Society
- Special obstacle course highlighted challenges faced by those living with dementia
Santander employees from the South-East and Midlands came together in Milton Keynes last week to compete in a charity remake of the classic TV game show ‘It’s a Knockout’. The event saw a total of almost 200 employees in 24 teams take part in eight different obstacle courses, presenting both physical and mental challenges.
The challenges included a human pinball wizard, dinghy derby and a minefield dare. These were all taken on while some of the teams were wearing fancy dress costumes and made even more difficult by them having to battle against foam, water and other obstacles to raise money for Alzheimer’s Society.
In addition to the physical and sporting contests, the competition also included a cognitive challenge to highlight the potential everyday challenges faced by those living with dementia. This special round saw participants blindfolded and guided around obstacles designed to help colleagues understand the importance of trusting and supporting each other.
Each team entered the tournament with the aim of raising £1,000 to help transform the lives of people living with dementia across the UK and fund vital research. Another ‘It’s a Knockout’ event was hosted in Liverpool last week, with a further 100 employees in eight teams looking to take the total ‘It’s a Knockout’ event fundraising to over £60,000 including Santander matched donations.
Louise Shield, Director of Corporate Communications at Santander, said: “’It’s a Knockout’ has been a big feature of our fundraising programme and something we look forward to enormously. The chance to recreate the classic game show is not only great fun, but it also demonstrates our commitment and determination to support those in our communities who are most in need.”
Kathryn Young, Head of Account Management at Alzheimer’s Society, said: “We’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who took part in the ‘It’s a Knockout’ events. It’s inspiring to see so many Santander employees join together to fundraise for Alzheimer’s Society at events like these. The incredible support will help Alzheimer’s Society continue to fund research as well as improving and providing care and support for people with dementia across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.”
So far, this year’s Santander fundraising events for the charity have included branch events, an employee football tournament and Dementia Action Week activity. Over the course of the rest of 2019, Santander will be supporting various other fundraising activities for the charity including sponsoring Alzheimer’s Society’s Memory Walk in September.
Santander chose Alzheimer's Society as its national Charity Partner for 2019-2021, following a selection process which included a vote by thousands of Santander staff across the UK. The focus of the partnership is on working together to improve financial inclusion and help those within our communities who may struggle to cope with new technology, as well as employee fundraising activities and volunteering. The bank and charity are combining their respective areas of expertise, to establish joint strategic initiatives that will improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia. Santander’s aim is to become the best digital dementia friendly bank in the UK.
- Ends -
The information contained in our press releases is intended solely for journalists and should not be used by consumers to make financial decisions.
Notes to Editors
Santander UK is a financial services provider in the UK that offers a wide range of personal and commercial financial products and services. It has brought real competition to the UK, through its innovative products for retail customers and relationship banking model for UK SMEs. At 31 December 2018, the bank has around 24,000 employees. It serves around 15 million active customers, via a nationwide branch network, telephone, mobile and online banking; and 64 regional Corporate Business Centres. Santander UK is subject to the full supervision of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) in the UK. Santander UK plc customers’ eligible deposits are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) in the UK.
Banco Santander (SAN SM, STD US, BNC LN) is a leading retail and commercial bank, founded in 1857 and headquartered in Spain. It has a meaningful presence in 10 core markets in Europe and the Americas, and is the largest bank in the euro zone by market capitalization. At the end of 2018, Banco Santander had EUR 981 billion in customer funds (deposits and mutual funds), 144 million customers, 13,000 branches and 200,000 employees. Banco Santander made attributable profit of EUR 7,810 million in 2018, an increase of 18% compared to the previous year.
- Alzheimer's Society is the UK's leading dementia charity. We provide information and support, fund research, campaign to improve care and create lasting change for people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Dementia devastates lives. Alzheimer’s Society research shows that 850,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia. By 2021, 1 million people will be living with the condition. This will soar to two million by 2051.
- Dementia deaths are rising year on year and 225,000 will develop dementia this year - that’s one every three minutes.
- Dementia costs the UK economy over £26 billion per year. This is the equivalent of more than £30,000 per person with dementia.
- Alzheimer’s Society funds research into the cause, care, cure and prevention of all types of dementia and has committed to spend at least £150 million on research over the next decade. This includes a £50 million investment in the UK's first dedicated Dementia Research Institute.
- Until the day we find a cure, Alzheimer's Society will be here for anyone affected by dementia - wherever they are, whatever they're going through. Everything we do is informed and inspired by them.
- Let's take on dementia together. Volunteer. Donate. Campaign for change. Whatever you do, unite with us against dementia.
- Alzheimer’s Society relies voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by calling 0330 333 0804 or visiting alzheimers.org.uk.
- lzheimer’s Society provides a National Dementia Helpline, the number is 0300 222 11 22 or visit alzheimers.org.uk
- Follow us on Twitter @Alzheimerssoc
- Alzheimer’s Society YouTube channel www.youtube.com/AlzheimersSociety
Media Enquiries - Santander
Leonora Burtenshaw T: 020 7756 4543 E: email@example.com
Follow @santanderuknews on Twitter
The Santander press office operates from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours please call 0800 5877708.
Media Enquiries – Alzheimer’s Society
Press Office T: 0207 423 3595 E: firstname.lastname@example.org