You are in

  • Personal
  • Loans
  • Help and Support
  • Loans Frequently Asked Questions

Personal Loans frequently asked questions

Answers to your questions

Answers to your questions about Personal Loans

Get an instant answer to your question by viewing frequently asked questions about Personal Loans.

  • Not necessarily. This is the representative rate we offer to the majority of people we offer loans to of this size.


    How your rate is decided
    When you apply we do a credit assessment. This will affect the rate we offer you which may be different to the representative rate.


    Get an idea of your loan repayments
    The loan calculator uses the representative rate to give you a guide as to what your repayments will be.
    Loan calculator


    Find out exactly what we can offer you
    You need to apply for a Personal Loan so we can do the credit assessment. This credit search will appear on your credit file. You’re under no obligation to take the rate we offer you.

  • You may repay the loan in full at any time before the final payment is due. Details of how to do this are in your agreement.


    We calculate your settlement figure by first determining your ‘settlement date’. For a Personal Loan of less than, or equal to, one year we work out your settlement date by counting forward 28 days from the date we receive your request to settle early. If your loan agreement is longer than one year we are allowed to calculate the settlement date by counting forward for a further 30 days or one calendar month. We will charge interest up to your settlement date.


    If you entered into your agreement with us on or after 11 June 2010, you are entitled to make a partial repayment of your Personal Loan.


    Upon making a partial repayment you can choose whether to either reduce the term of your loan or your monthly repayment amount.

  • Please contact our team of specialist PPI complaint handlers on 0800 171 2171. Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

    It can help to have your PPI policy number to hand but we can find this for you if you don’t have it by using your name, date of birth and address at the time you took the policy out.

    We’ll take the details of your complaint and advise you of the next steps.

    To help us understand your complaint fully and process it quickly you can download and complete a PPI Questionnaire (pdf)

    If you’re unsure whether you have/had PPI
    We can confirm this if you call us on the number above. 

    View call charges

  • Call us or visit us in branch.


    Call us
    0800 028 4055, 8am to 9pm Monday to Saturday or 8am to 4pm Saturdays. View call charges


    In branch
    Find your nearest branch

  • For PPI policies taken out from 4 May 2009
    PPI policy document (pdf)
    PPI policy summary (pdf)


    To read these files you need to have Adobe Reader. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader

  • The easiest way to change your address and contact details (including your telephone number and email address) is to do it via Online Banking. It will be changed instantly.

    If you have a joint account you can only change your own name and/or address within Online Banking. If both names and/or addresses need to be changed, both account holders must log on to their own Online Banking and change their own details.

    You can also change it by telephone or in branch.

    1. Online Banking (instant):

      Log on and update your details instantly from within the "My Details & Settings" tab.

      • Choose 'Change personal details' from the left hand menu and then click 'Change address'.

      • Enter your new details (including postcode) and follow the onscreen instructions.

      • Please note: You will need to enter a One Time Passcode (OTP) to complete this change, so make sure you have your mobile phone to hand.

    2. By telephone (for current account and savings customers):

      • Call our Telephone Banking line on 0800 9 123 123. Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

    3. In branch:

      • Complete a change of details form by

        • Printing off and completing the Change of details form (pdf) *

        • Requesting a copy of the form by calling us on 0800 9 123 123. Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

        • Collect a form from your local branch.

      • Take the form to your local branch together with relevant account documentation:

        • Your cash card, passbook or certificate and;

        • Signature bearing identification such as a full UK driving licence or valid EEA passport (this includes UK passport).

    If you would like to discuss our identification requirements please call us on 0800 9 123 123 and we will be happy to help. Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

    Important information for customers with alerts: If you have Account alerts set up on your account and you want these to be sent to your updated telephone number and/or email address, then you will need to amend your alerts via the 'Account Services' tab in Online Banking as they are not automatically updated when you change your details.

    * To open these documents you will need to have Adobe Reader. If you don't already have Adobe Reader you can download it for free

  • This is a system we use to help us decide whether we can lend you money and is also used by most other banks.

    A credit score uses the information in your application, such as:

    • your age

    • your job

    • any financial commitments you have

    We'll also take into consideration how you manage any Santander accounts you have and we'll make credit checks with credit reference agencies to find out how you've managed credit before.

  • There are 4 steps you should take before moving abroad.

    1. Review your accounts.

    2. Sign-up for Online Banking and Telephone Banking.

    3. Register for Account alerts.

    4. Update your contact details.

    1. Review your accounts
    Moving abroad may have an impact on the accounts you have with Santander, in particular the benefits provided as part of the account and methods of repayments.

    The table below lists by product any impact that could affect you by moving abroad.

    You may wish to consider booking an appointment in branch for more information and for details of the options available to you.

    If you haven't already, please visit Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website for more information on any change to your tax status whilst you're away, or you can call them on +44 135 535 9022.

    Impact of moving abroad on accounts

    Current Accounts
    123 Current Account
    • Cashback will only be earned on Direct Debits in the UK to institutions on our Eligible Originators Classifications Listing©.

    • Check the 'Where can I get cashback?' page for the list.

    Premier and Premier Direct Current Accounts with European Travel Insurance
    • If you hold any of these products, you will not be eligible for the European travel insurance benefit on your account. We recommend talking to us to review your account options.

    • For joint accounts, if one of you moves abroad that person will no longer be eligible for the travel insurance benefit. The other account holder will continue to be eligible.

    Savings Accounts, Fixed Rate Bonds, ISAs and Investments
    Fixed Rate Bonds
    • We will continue to write to you at least 14 days before your bond matures with details of the options available to you. If you do not contact us before your bond matures, your money will be transferred into an instant access account at maturity.

    Cash ISAs, Investments ISAs and Investments
    • You can't open or add to an existing ISA or Investment when you cease to be a resident in the UK for tax purposes. The exception to this is for Crown employees working overseas or the spouse or civil partner of a Crown employee working overseas. They can open or add to an existing ISA but not an Investment.

    • You can keep your ISA or Investment and continue to put money in it when you become a resident in the UK for tax purposes again, subject to the normal annual ISA limits.

    • For more information please visit HMRC's website.

    Personal Loans
    Personal Loans
    • We can't accept Direct Debits from overseas bank accounts. Direct Debit payments will need to continue to be made from a UK bank account.

    • It is important that you refer to your insurance policy document that will contain details of who you should contact to notify of your change in circumstances.

    • We can't accept Direct Debits from overseas bank accounts. Direct Debit payments will need to continue to be made from a UK bank account.

    • Please let us know if you decide to rent out your UK home.

    Credit Cards
    Credit Cards
    • If you hold any of our credit cards, you may not be eligible for associated benefits on your account if moving abroad. We recommend talking to us to review your credit card account options.

    • We can't accept Direct Debits from an overseas bank account. Direct Debit payments will need to continue to be made via a UK bank account.

    123 Credit Card
    • Cashback will only be earned on purchases in the UK to retailers within eligible Merchant Category Codes.

    • Check the 'Where can I get cashback?' page for the list.

    2. Sign-up for Online Banking and Telephone Banking
    Before you leave you should sign up for Online and Telephone Banking as both will help you manage your account remotely when you are no longer able to access a branch.

    Go to Register for Online Banking for more information on Online Banking and how to register.

    Please note that our Online and Telephone Banking services are not available for all products.

    3. Register for Account alerts
    In order to register for our Account alerts service, you need to be able to log on to Santander Online Banking.

    If you're already registered for our Online Banking Service, you'll find details on how to set up your alert service in the 'Account Services' tab.

    4. Update your contact details
    It is important that you make sure your contact details, especially your mobile telephone number, are up to date, so that Santander can contact you while you are abroad should we suspect fraudulent activity on your account.

    The easiest way to do this is to send us a secure message via Online Banking, visit your local branch, or call:

    Debit cards
    0800 9 123 123 (+44 1908 237 963). Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

    Credit cards
    0800 9 123 123 (+44 1512 648 725). Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

  • APR stands for Annual Percentage Rate which shows the overall cost of credit as an annual rate of charge. It takes into account the interest, charges and any other costs involved in getting credit, which makes it easy to compare across the market.


    When we advertise a Representative APR this is the rate that we must give the majority of accepted customers on loans within the promoted tier.

  • The rate you are offered will depend upon:

    • the credit information and the last six years of credit activity held about you by the Credit Reference Agencies (Experian, Call Credit, Equifax).

    • the value of secured and unsecured debt that you already have.

    • the monthly income that you have available to repay your new personal loan.

    • the loan amount and term that have been requested.

    • the way you have managed any other accounts with Santander.

  • Can't find what you are looking for? Find more on the main FAQs page.

Santander UK plc. Registered Office: 2 Triton Square, Regent's Place, London, NW1 3AN, United Kingdom. Registered Number 2294747. Registered in England and Wales. Telephone 0800 389 7000. Calls may be recorded or monitored. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Our Financial Services Register number is 106054. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website Santander and the flame logo are registered trademarks.