We’re sorry but we can’t give you a decision in principle right now.
You can complete your decision in principle between 6.00am and 11.00pm on Monday to Saturday and 8.00am to 5.30pm on Sundays only.
Please come back to us within those times to start your application.
A decision in principle confirms instantly if we would lend you the mortgage amount you have asked for. It is subject to proof of income, a full credit search and a property valuation. There is no charge for a decision in principle and you are not obliged to then do a full mortgage application with us.
You can apply for a decision in principle online if you’re:
- an existing Santander mortgage customer buying a new home and you want to borrow more
- a director of a limited company.
What information do I need?
- Income and expenditure details (e.g. payslip and bank statements)
- Address details (including postcode) for the last 3 years
- Details of any outstanding financial commitments such as loans or credit cards
How long will it take?
It will take you about 30 minutes to complete the decision in principle so please make sure you allow enough time to finish it as you won’t be able to save and come back to it.
If your decision in principle is accepted and you’d like to proceed, we’ll send you an email requesting supporting documentation such as your payslip.
Information about a credit search
The decision in principle requires a credit search that won’t impact your credit file and can’t be seen by other lenders. If your decision in principle is accepted and you proceed to a full mortgage application, we’ll carry out a credit search on each applicant that will impact your credit file and can be seen by other lenders.
You can complete your decision in principle between 6.00am and 11.00pm on Monday to Saturday and 8.00am to 5.30pm on Sundays only. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please click on the ‘Continue’ button to start your application.
To apply for a mortgage with us you need to:
- be at least 18 years of age and a UK resident
- want the mortgage for a property in the UK (but not in the Isle of Man)
- be intending to live in the property
- have never had a home repossessed
- have never been declared bankrupt or subject to an individual voluntary arrangement
- be able to provide confirmation of all types of income
- have read and can meet our debt consolidation criteria if using any of the mortgage for debt consolidation help
Plus, to apply for a mortgage online you must:
- have a maximum of two applicants
- be applying for a mortgage up to 90% of the value of your property (also known as loan to value)
- be able to provide a minimum of 2 years’ trading/tax year figures for any self-employed applicant
Before you apply please make sure you’ve completed the How much could I borrow? calculator so you can see how much we may be able to lend you.
Alternatively, if you don't meet the online criteria you can apply in a branch or by phone. To make an appointment visit your branch or call us on 0800 068 6064. Lines are open 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm Saturdays.