Student Current Account
Why choose our Student Current Account?
Our Student Current Account gives you financial support by giving you access to an Arranged Overdraft which increases each year of study and pays you credit interest on balances up to £500*.
Not only that, as long as you pay £500 into your account each term, you can also enjoy:
- 0% EAR (variable) overdraft and no Daily Arranged Overdraft fees - starting at £1,500 and then increasing up to a maximum of £2000 (depending on your year of study and providing a minimum of £500 has been credited to the account each term). Until you credit the required £500 the overdraft limit will be £250. (See note 2)
- Essentials - includes a Visa debit card for easy, secure withdrawals and purchases.
- Earn - 1.00% AER (variable) interest on the money in your account on balances up to £500. No interest is paid on any amount over £500. (See note 1).
- Easy access - you can withdraw up to £300 daily and free of charge, at around 1300 Santander or LINK cash machines in the UK.
- Online Banking: Make the most of your account by using our online Banking service. You can easily check your statements, pay bills, move money and lots more. You will automatically be registered when you apply - read more/see demo.
- Mobile banking: If you like to keep up to date with your banking on the go, then our Mobile Banking Service will suit you perfectly - also available as a free iPhone and iPad app from the App Store - read more
- Free text message and email alert service - Our alert service offers Online Banking customers the option of setting up Low/high balance and Payment alerts.
Student Current Account - Representative example
0% EAR (variable) Arranged Overdraft. No Daily Arranged Overdraft fees apply.
Assumed credit limit: £1,200. Actual amount may differ.
How to apply
We have a range of Student current accounts so there's bound to be one that is just right for you, depending on what course year you are in or if you already have a Santander account or Student account, there may be specific details on HOW/WHERE you can apply. See below for instructions:
To apply online you will need to:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be living permanently in the UK
- also, we may need you to provide further ID and proof of the course you are studying - we'll email you within 3 working days to let you know what we need (click here for details on the type of ID we could ask for);
- read the T&C's, rates and charges information before you apply click here
Where to apply:
You can apply online now if you are in the 1st year of:
- undergraduate course;
- nursing training (at least a two-year course).
You need to apply in one of our branches if:
- You already hold a Santander account. An Advisor can arrange to have your existing current account transferred over to a Student account (you cannot have both at the same time),
- You are in the 2nd year of your course or above and already have a Student account elsewhere - we have a dedicated Account Transfer Service in our branches to help you with a hassle-free move.
Please find your most convenient branch using our branch finder.
If you are going to a university that has joined the Santander Universities network, click here to read more information and to find out if your university is part of the program
The Student Current Account is not available to our International Students.
Note 1: AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and shows what the interest would be if we paid interest and added it each year. The gross rate is the rate paid before income tax is taken off. Interest is calculated daily and paid monthly. Rates may change.
Note 2: EAR stands for Effective Annual Rate and represents the yearly cost of an overdraft, which takes account of how often we charge interest to the account, and does not include any other fees or charges. Overdrafts depend on your circumstances and you must repay any overdraft when we ask in line with our General Terms and Conditions.
Rates and information correct as at 10 April 2013