Basic Current Account
Get back to basics
Our no-frills Basic Current Account allows you to pay your bills using direct debit and standing orders and comes with a cashcard to use at our network of cash machines.
If you are looking for an account that has an overdraft facility and a Visa debit card, then our Everyday Current Account may be a better option for you - read more.
Our 123 Current Account not only provides all the standard features of a bank account, but also pays you cashback on your household bills and interest on your balance - read more
Why choose the Basic Current Account?
The Basic Current Account is as its name suggests, if offers you all the basic features of a bank account. Although you won't get an Arranged Overdraft facility, a chequebook, Visa debit card or earn interest on the balance; you will benefit from the following:
Easy access to your money with a cash card at around 1300 Santander branches and Link cash machines - you can also withdraw money at any Santander UK branch (you can withdraw money over the counter in our branches, as long as your withdrawals are not less than £300).
Manage your money at any time with Online Banking and Telephone Banking
Online Banking: Make the most of your account by using our Online Banking service. You can easily check your statements, pay bills, move money and lots more. You will automatically be registered when you apply - read more/see demo.
Mobile banking: If you like to keep up to date with your banking on the go, then our Mobile Banking Service will suit you perfectly - also available as a free iPhone and iPad app from the App Store - read more
Free text message and email alert service - Our alert service offers Online Banking customers the option of setting up Low/high balance and Payment alerts.
Pay in - pay your salary or other income into your bank account using automated payments
Pay out - pay your bills straight out of your account each month with standing orders and Direct Debits
Monthly statements - helping you keep track of your balance
Opening a Basic Current Account
To be eligible for a Basic Current Account you must:
- Be aged 16 or over
- Not already have a current account with Santander;
- Live in the UK; and
- Be able to provide the required identification from the lists at the front of the application form. Please click on the application form below, and refer to section 1 for the identification you must supply when applying for a Basic Current Account
Completing your application:
- Please click on the following link to download a copy of our Basic Current Account application form
- Complete the application form in full, and provide the two forms of identification required (existing Santander customers only need to provide one item from List 1), which is explained in section 1 of the application form
- Return the application form, along with black and white copies of your identification to the following freepost address:
Freepost Plus RSHG-KSKX-YUJK
Basic Current Account Applications
Po Box 1119
- Please ensure you have read the following documents before applying for a Basic Current Account:
We recommend that you print copies of each of the documents above, so that you can refer to them in the future if required.
Whether we accept your application will depend on your circumstances. We may not be able to offer you an account if you have been declared bankrupt or have another current account in the UK.
We will send you a letter within seven working days to let you know whether we have accepted your application.
If you have any questions regarding your application please contact us on 0845 603 3507 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturdays 8am to 6pm)