Why choose our Student Current Account?
Open a Student Current Account and you could save 1/3 on rail travel for the next 4 years with a FREE Santander 16-25 Railcard worth £120*.
As long as £500 goes into your account each term, you'll also get:
- 0% EAR (variable) Arranged Overdraft starting at £1,500 in years 1, 2 and 3 and then increasing up to a maximum of £2,000 in Year 5 with no Arranged Overdraft Usage Fees (depending on your year of study and providing a minimum of £500 has been credited to the account each term). Until you credit the required £500 the overdraft limit will be £250 (see note 1).
- 1.00% AER/gross (variable) interest on balances up to £500 (see note 2). No interest is paid on any amount over £500.
Managing your account
- Visa debit card - for easy withdrawal and purchases.
- Easy access - withdraw up to £300 daily without charge from around 1,300 Santander or LINK machines nationwide.
- Online and Mobile Banking - we know students like to keep nocturnal hours, so do your banking when it suits you using Online Banking or our handy Mobile Banking apps. Read more/see demo.
- Free text and email alerts - set up low balance alerts so you know when you're nearing your limit, or payment alerts so you know when you've been given a cash injection. Read more .
Student Current Account - Representative example
0% EAR (variable) Arranged Overdraft**. No Arranged Overdraft Usage Fees apply. Assumed credit limit: £1,200. Actual amount may differ.
How to apply
Apply online now if you:
- are over 18 and a UK resident.
- don't already hold a Santander Current Account.
- have an unconditional offer for a course starting this year or are in your 1st year of an undergraduate course, HND or nursing training (at least a 2 year course). If you do not meet the criteria above, please apply online when you have received your A Level results so that your confirmed place can be verified within 30 days of your application.
Apply in-branch if:
- you are in your 1st year of study and already hold a Santander Current Account that is not a Student Current Account.
- you are in your 2nd year or above and would like to switch your student current account from another provider to Santander. We have a dedicated team who will mange the switch from your old account to the Santander Student Current Account.
Please find your most convenient branch using our branch finder.
- The Santander 16-25 Railcard is not available with the International Student Current Account.
- The Santander 16-25 Railcard will be issued and maintained by The Association of Train Operating Companies.
*£120 saving is based on the current cost of £30 for an annual 16-25 Railcard over a 4 year period.
**Note 1: EAR stands for Effective Annual Rate and represents the yearly cost of an overdraft, which takes account of how often we charge interest to the account, and does not include any other fees or charges. Overdrafts depend on your circumstances and you must repay any overdraft when we ask in line with our General Terms and Conditions.
Note 2: AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and shows what the interest would be if we paid interest and added it each year. The gross rate is the rate paid before income tax is taken off. Interest is calculated daily and paid monthly. Rates may change. We will not pay you interest on any amount over £500, or on your whole balance if you do not make the required payments into your account.
Rates and information correct as at 24 June 2013.
Back to Top