About Santander UK
Santander UK plc is one of the United Kingdom's leading personal financial services companies and one of it's largest providers of mortgages and savings products. We also have a growing commercial business which supports the banking needs of UK businesses. With some 25 million customers, an extensive branch network, over 24,000 employees and more than 1.6 million UK shareholders. Santander UK plc has deep British roots through the bringing together of the former Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley businesses.
Through 2011 and into 2012 we have maintained our range of 'best buy' products for our customers and have brought innovation and competition to the High Street, benefitting both existing and new customers. Santander UK plc's full year 2011 results were solid, despite challenging market conditions, maintaining the strong underlying track record of our business while strengthening the balance sheet.
Our aim is to complete the transformation of our bank by:
- Changing the focus of the retail bank to customers from products.
- Growing our Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) business through a combination of new business and that which we plan on acquiring later this year from The Royal Bank of Scotland. Our aim is to make Santander UK the 'SME Bank of Choice' and in doing so we will continue to diversify our overall business mix.
- Continuing our focus on IT investment and efficiency, with £490 million of planned investment over three years and continued improvements in customer service.
Our financial strategy is to make Santander UK even stronger by:
- A continued prudent approach to lending in the UK market.
- Offering competitive savings rates to attract and retain business from customers who are loyal to Santander UK.
- Reducing our reliance on short-term money market funding and moving to more medium and long term funding to further strengthen the balance sheet.
Santander UK plc manages its affairs autonomously here in the UK. We are run by a local management team which is solely and fully accountable for the performance of Santander UK plc.
We take deposits in the UK and lend only to UK businesses and individuals. In this respect we are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Services Authority. We operate under a subsidiary model which works to ensure that all subsidiaries in the Group operate on a standalone basis, retaining funding and liquidity management* at the local level. And, of course, our savers' deposits as with other UK banks are covered in accordance with the rules of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, which protects deposits of up to £85,000 per eligible customer, (£170,000 for a joint account with 2 eligible depositors), for more information visit www.FSCS.org.uk.
To find out more about Santander click here
* Liquidity is held to cover both FSA and internal stresses, which cover a variety of periods and scenarios across the whole business. From both the point of view of funding† business as usual financing) and liquidity (stress scenario financing) no reliance can be placed on the parent company (Banco Santander), and this has to be demonstrated to the Financial Services Authority.